The Guard Hut 1905
1912 Plan of the 6-Inch battery

The 6-Inch QF Gun Battery in 1912.

1905 Plan of 12 Pounder emplacement
12-Pounder QF Emplacement 1905

Authority for the commencement of the work on the Emplacement was given in a War Office Letter of 2nd September 1897. The List of Approved Armaments for the Straits Settlements corrected to 1st January 1898, stated there were no armaments at Silingsing, but two 12-Pounder 12 cwt QF Guns were noted under ‘Alterations approved or proposed’. The 1 st January 1899 List showed that the two 12-Pounders at Silingsing Battery were at the emplacement, but also stated that they were, “Dismounted in R.A. care”. By this, I think we can take it that the emplacements were complete with perhaps the pivot mounting in place, but the guns themselves were in a store. The date of completion of the Emplacement was 8th July 1899.

The Shell Store held 1000 Common Pointed Shells with 1000 Fuzes Percussion. That is to say, the shells would explode on impact. In the Cartridge Store were 1000 Cartridges.

In 1907, the Committee on the Armaments of Defended Ports Abroad, presided over by General Sir J.F. Owen, recommended the emplacement of two Mark VII 6-Inch Guns at Silingsing on the site of the 12-Pounder Battery. Similar guns would got to Siloso. In the end, both Batteries only got the older Mark II 6-Inch QF Guns. By September 1907, the 12-Pounders would seem to have been removed, and two Mark II 6-Inch QF Guns on Mark I Mountings were noted as being additions to the Battery. These two guns were to come from Fort Connaught which was also undergoing change. The 6-Inch QF Guns became operational between August 1910 and July 1911.

Plan of the QF Battery
The 6-Inch QF Battery in 1912.

In his report of August 1924, Lt. Colonel Brackner C.R.A. does not refer to the Silingsing guns, only the searchlights, saying, “The Searchlights at SILOSO and SILINGSING , whilst retaining their present positions, will it is hoped, be replaced by more powerful lights of later pattern”.

General Sir Webb Gillman in his report of 1927, mentions that on Pulao sic Brani , The existing armament consists of a pair of 6-inch guns on 15° mountings at Siling Sling sic, and two defence electric lights”. He recommended that the left-hand BC post be removed as it prevented the guns from firing into the harbour. He also suggested that a surplus PF Cell on Blakang Mati might be remodelled to use for the Silingsing Battery. The left-hand BC Post was demolished in 1929. In a meeting at Fort Canning on 26th February 1935, Major General F.W. Barron observed that there were, “2 -6” 15° and D.E.Ls. at SILINGSING”. The Mark of gun at that time is not known.

The No.1 Emplacement 1946LEFT: The No.1 Emplacement in 1946.

Silingsing went to war with two 6-Inch Guns on Mark II Mountings. The evidence is that these were Mark VII BL Guns, not the earlier QF Guns.

An Operational Instruction dated 3rd September 1939 stated, “Owing to the present international situation, War may be expected to be declared against Germany very shortly. No information is available as to the proximity of the potential enemy forces”, also, “.....50% of gun floor recesses will be filled”. On 8th December 1942 Faber War Diary records at 0200 from HQ Fixed Defences, “Japanese are now attempting to land at KOTA BAHRU and are being engaged by our forces”.

Faber Command Operations War Diary records that Silingsing was neither bombed or shelled. It also records that, “No sea targets appeared in the Bty zone and no ammunition was expended on Land Targets”. The Battery was spiked at 1815 on the 14th February 1942 after false reports of Japanese forces landing at Teregah.

Aerial view of the emplacement 1060sNo.2 Emplacement 1960s
ABOVE LEFT: A 1960s aerial view of Fort Silingsing.    ABOVE RIGHT: The No.2 Emplacement in the 1960s

Fort Silingsing on Google Earth. There are no remains of the battery on the surface, but the magazine may remain underground.

Other Batteries
& Defences