Plans of the Casemates
Casemates were buildings built to provide accommodation, office and storage space. In some Forts, Casemates housed guns as well. The 1885 plan above would seem to show that only the two end rooms of the Casemates were enclosed. The four rooms in the centre would appear to be open. By 1896, all rooms in the Casemates were enclosed and had specific uses. The Artillery Store on the left measures 5 feet (1.52m) at the front and 12 feet 6 inches (3.81m) at the back wall, and is 22 feet 6 inches (6.86m) deep. The Lamp Room is 8 feet (2.44m) wide and 12 feet (3.66m) deep. The other four rooms are 18 feet (5.49m) wide by 24 feet (7.32m) deep. The walls between the rooms are 3 feet (0.91m) thick. The Artillery Store in the 1896 plan was, by 1912, a Filled Shell Store.
LEFT: The Casemates with soldiers are enjoying themselves outside. The Battery Observation Post is at the top of the hill.
Alain Henry de Frahan from Belgium has identified the truck in the photograph as a Dodge WC-52, a type not in service with British forces prior to 1942. The photograph was then probably taken in the late 1940s following the British return to Singapore in September 1945.
RIGHT: A soldier outside the casemates. It looks as if he has been polishing the bowl that he is holding.
The Casemates at Fort Siloso would have been familiar to Gunners around the world. In Singapore, others can be found on Mount Serapong and at the Labrador Battery at Labrador Park.
LEFT: The Casemates looking rather dilapidated in this 1993 video still. Ventilation Shafts can be seen in the top left.
RIGHT: The Casemates photographed from Mount Siloso in 1999. The 6-Inch BL Gun Battery is beyond the Casemates on the right of the photo. It is a pity that the buildings of the fort can't be painted in their original colours by Sentosa Leisure Group, and left that way. Visitors
should see the fort as it was.
LEFT: The Casemates in 2001. Notice the boot-scrapers by the doors to the rooms.
CENTRE: Inside the Room that was once the Artillery Store. A ventilation Shaft is in the rear wall.
RIGHT: Looking towards the door of the Artillery Store.
Each room in the Casemates was originally separate, with a wall 3 feet thick between them. Unfortunately, some of rooms have now been connected by doors cut into the walls between them. This really is tampering with history, and constitutes an act of vandalism to the history of the Fort.