ABOVE: Two Mark IV 9·2-Inch BL Guns with the 8-Inch BL Gun between them.
LEFT: A Trunnion of one of the Mark IV 9·2-Inch Guns. Unfortunately, there is too much paint on it to be able to get the serial number and other details. What is visible is, ‘9·2 Inch’ and ‘23 Tons’ (23369 Kg).
The 9·2-Inch (22.37 Cm) BL (breech loading) Gun was designed during the late 19th Century by the British in order to counter the German 24cm Gun made by Krupp of Essen. It was first used as a naval gun before being adopted for coast defence batteries in 1890s and early 1900s. By 1914, 9·2-Inch BL Coast Guns were in service throughout British Empire, five of them in Singapore.
During the early 1900s there were five Mark IV 9·2-Inch BL Guns in Singapore. On Blakang Mati, Fort Connaught was armed with two, and Fort Siloso had one. Nearby on Singapore Island, Fort Pasir Panjang had two more.
In 1942, there were 6 9·2-Inch Mark X Guns in Singapore. Three each at Forts Connaught and Tekong Besar.